Back to Basics: Does Your Site Need a Call-To-Action?
The quick answer is: Absolutely!
Many clients come to us without any way for people to sign up for something on their site, even a basic newsletter, so they’re missing so many opportunities to connect with new and potential clients.
If you don’t have a Call-To-Action that encourages people to sign up via your website, here’s what you’re missing:
1) A way to keep in contact with current clients. Clients are bombarded with ads and mixed messages every day. Getting their emails so you can send them a monthly Ezine that showcases your latest expertise (in the form of a blog or article) helps keep them in the forefront of their minds, and reassures them that you are the expert.
2) The ability to share your knowledge. Ideally, your Call-To-Action should include an offer for a free report, book chapter, or some other piece of tangible information that you can then send to the client as soon as they fill out the form.
3) New prospective clients. Many clients look at multiple options before choosing who they’re going to work with, and one of the first things prospective clients will look at in this day and age is your website. Offering a free Call-To-Action will entice them to sign up and give you their email address. From there, you can reach out and further share your expertise.
4) An autoresponder sequence. When people fill out the forms on your website, you should have your forms set up to automatically send them a thank you email. This is called an autoresponder. Of course, you don’t want to leave it at that one email. Instead, set up a sequence that includes your thank you email, an offer to connect to your social media profiles, and some other other, such as a free white paper. This sequence gives visitors additional ways to connect with you, but you can set up a sequence without Call-To-Action.
Now that we’ve covered why you need a Call-To-Action, let’s go over a few different versions you can use.
1) Ask people to subscribe to your Ezine. This is the most basic version of them all, and simply asks visitors to sign up to receive your e-newsletter. However, because people are more enticed by a free offer, I only recommend if you don’t currently have something you can offer. It is better to have something than nothing at all.
2) Offer a white paper. Conveniently, you can turn just about any blog, article, or other piece of writing you have that shares your knowledge into a white paper in minutes!
3) Give away a free chapter of your book. If you’ve written a book, giving away a free chapter is a great idea! Not only can it entice visitors to want to read more, but it seems like a heftier gift, since books have a purchase price.
4) Offer a bonus for those who have purchased your book. Even a free worksheet that helps them process the information they’ve read can be very helpful for everything from life coaches to health experts to financial advisers. What pre- (or current) retiree wouldn’t like a little help getting started on retirement planning?
5) Offer a free series. If you have something you give clients each month, such as a free workout video, free recipes, etc. offer it up as a free series to subscribers! This makes for an intriguing offer that will continue to keep you in steady contact with the people that sign up.
So not only do you now know why you need a Call-To-Action, you have some ideas to get you started. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch!